Use open-ended questions/statements to allow the student to direct the conversation, while allowing you to gather more information.
- I've recently noticed that you...
- How are things going for you?
- Tell me more about that.
- How are you feeling about...?
- What problems has that caused for you?
- What do you need to help you?
Ask closed-ended questions. The use of closed-ended questions can allow for decision-making and referrals.
- Are you willing to meet with the TA?
- Would you like to come to my office hours?
- Do you want to schedule an appointment with...?
- Would you like me to call Student Support Services (for undergrads) or OGE (for grads) with you to make an appointment?
- Would you like me to go with you to Student Mental Health & Counseling Services?